Lessons from the hadeeth of the worst sinner being the one whose question leads to prohibiting something which wasn’t previously
On the authority of ‘Amir b. Sa’d and the words are. Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: The greatest sinner of the Muslims amongst Muslims is one who asked about a certain thing which had not been prohibited and it was prohibited because of his asking about it.
[Ref: Saheeh Muslim]
1. Whatever is not proven to be haraam from the Qur`an, sunnah or Ijmaa, then the asl in such wordily matters is that it is permissible as long as it does not oppose the shar`iah [Ref: Fath ul-Bari 13/269]
2. One should abstain from unnecessary questions
3. This hadeeth is in context to the moment when the Prophet was receiving a wahi
4. While asking questions, the general benifit of the people should be taken into consideration such as asking a question which you know you may be capable of fulfiling the conditions of its answers but others in general cannot.
5. This is especially in regards to some wordily or political petitions filed by some Muslims in a land due to which other Muslims have to suffer. Such as imposing a stringent salary condition for enjoying some basic rights and etc.